Meltblown Non-Woven Manufacturing
Biovation’s advanced manufacturing platform is based on two core areas of expertise: non-woven fiber (especially from PLA) manufacturing and integrating niche and specialized chemistries to the non-woven material for applications ranging from healthcare infection and pathogen control to military products for quick absorption and wicking to heat-sealable roll goods.
For the manufacturing of non-woven fiber, Biovation has a manufacturing line, with the following standard capabilities that are well established in the industry, specifically geared towards PLA:
- A polymer dryer to desiccate the PLA polymer and remove residual moisture.
- A heated screw extruder to melt and deliver the PLA polymer pellets.
- A high pressure gear melt pump with temperature control to provide uniform flow of the molten polymer.
- A 15-inch wide spinneret with 3000 nozzles each utilizing high volume heated airflow to attenuate the filaments in a high-output and controlled manner.
- Liquid quench system for surface treatment of molten polymer fiber.
- Fiber air quench system.
- Fabric weights from 10 to 2000 g/m2.
- Fiber diameters ranging from 1 to 20 microns typically (attenuation of filaments in a high-output and controlled manner).
- A mesh conveyor belt collection system (similar to those used in the paper industry) with a high velocity vacuum system to pull the extruded fibers onto the belt for web formation.
A winder to collect the web in a roll for ease of handling.Contained and enclosed environment for clean production.
Together with the meltblown manufacturing line, Biovation has a coating line with the following characteristics:
- Continuous production aqueous coating line.
- Unwind/Coat/Dry/Wind at 750mm (30”)
- Multiple application systems, modular with gravure doctor blade and waterfall coat with vacuum (curtain coat)
And in order to provide finished roll goods to our end customers we possess the ability to convert (slitting, rewinding) and print for targeted niche applications.
In addition to the production equipment, Biovation is equipped with testing laboratories within its production facility. The labs have the capability to conduct detailed analytical, chemical, physical and R&D testing in a temperature and humidity controlled environment.
Advantage of Polylactic Acid
PLA (polylactic acid) is an ideal raw material for leading-edge sustainable applications since it is derived from the natural fermentation of corn-based products and represents a renewable resource. PLA also has the ability to form fibers, films or foams and is easily extruded into a variety of forms that have applicability to unique markets. Depending on the process formulation, PLA can be exploited by combining it with other natural hydrophilic (100% wetting) or hydrophobic materials, making PLA an ideal candidate for developing flexible solutions, a core expertise of ours.
PLA’s degradation properties, wherein PLA polymers break down into lactic acid or its oligomeric lactide forms that are easily metabolized, provide a green alternative where sustainability is an important consideration.
Finally, domestically-sourced PLA resins are equally cost competitive with petroleum-based resins, providing additional options for customers.